Friday 4 January 2013

My 2013 fashion resolutions

“Resolution number one: Obviously will lose twenty pounds. Number two: Always put last night's panties in the laundry basket. Equally important, will find sensible boyfriend to go out with and not continue to form romantic attachments to any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, commitment phobic's, peeping toms, megalomaniacs, emotional fuckwits or perverts. And especially will not fantasize about a particular person who embodies all these things”

This is how the resolutions of the deliciously unlucky Bridget Jones sounded, resolutions she would break in about the same time that it took to write them down. It's true that nothing says "fresh start" quite like a New Year, but it's not always easy to put your wishes and plans into motion unless you dedicate yourself to it. Which is why I never seemed to be able to keep my grandiose resolutions which were of the vaguest nature possible, like "read more books" or "dress nicer". Specifics work for resolutions. So, this new year, I'm being very specific. 



Here are my fashion resolutions:

1) I will not go crazy during sales periods and buy everything that seems to have a great price unless I cannot imagine myself living without that item. 

2) In fact, I will no longer buy anything unless I cannot imagine myself living without that item (in other words, good-bye to impulse buying and pieces of clothing that still have their tag on 2 years after coming home with me - yes, there is such a thing!)

3) I will invest in an assortment of quality basics - one little black dress, one pair of well-tailored pants and blazer, one pair of great black pumps. Think Emmanuelle Alt, Theyskens, Jil Sander and Celine.

4) I will embrace the woman within and replace the monthly purchase of a denim pair of pants (there is such a thing as too much denim) with the more sensual choice of a silk dress or a skirt.

5) I will let my inner rocker express herself, but keep it feminine (leather is a great choice on a skirt, isn't it?!)

6) I will go for one statement piece: keep the ensemble clean and simple and make a difference with a statement necklace, a beautiful-coloured scarf or an eye-catching pair of shoes.

7) I will never go out of the house without being put together. And without a smile. As the saying goes, you never know who could fall in love with your smile (ok, I'm not actually looking for a new love, but making somebody feel better is definitely on the list).

8) I will not forget that a look is not only about the clothes you wear, it is always about the attitude.

9) Never say never when it comes to fashion (fixed ideas are not welcome, style is an evolution which should be let to come about naturally).

10) Love what I see in the mirror before anything else (like hoping to make a good impression or to project some special kind of image. If I like it and feel good in it, it means it's right)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment and I promise to get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for dropping by!